Third Intergovernmental Review Meeting on the Implementation of the GPA
The United Nations Environment Programme is pleased to announce that the Third Intergovernmental Review Meeting (IGR-3) on the Implementation of the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities (GPA) wias held in Manila 25-26 January 2012. Preceding the IGR-3, a Global Conference on Land-Ocean Connections was organized 23-24 January to discuss emerging issues and science-policy interlinkages, feeding results into the IGR-3.
Participants adopted the Manila Declaration, available for download in the Document Library
- To review the implementation to date of the GPA Coordination Office Work Programme 2007-2011: To review the progress made in the implementation of the GPA and identify future options for increased implementation at global, regional and national levels;
- To define the future programme of work for the GPA Coordination Office for the period 2012-2016: Based on the activities undertaken thus far to chart a course of action of the GPA Coordinating Office for the next five-year period;
- To identify and discuss emerging issues in relation to the protection of the marine environment from land-based activities: Based on the results of the preceding Global Conference, to discuss and finalise recommendations for implementation of action to address emerging issues; and
- To prepare input from the governments to the Rio +20 process concerning: (a) a green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication (marine and coastal environments and resources); (b) the institutional framework for sustainable development of marine and coastal resources; and c) emerging marine and coastal issues.
- A discussion on the UNEP/GPA Coordination Office: A programme of work for the period 2012-2016, with activities at the global level (aimed, inter alia, at supporting implementation of relevant international agreements and developing guidance documents for the GPA implementation); the regional level (within the framework of the UNEP Regional Seas Programme); and the national level (with an emphasis on supporting countries to develop/implement National Programmes of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities).
- A high-level/ministerial segment: A declaration that will: Provide policy guidance in relation to enhanced implementation of the GPA at national, regional and global levels and the utilization of the GPA for achievement of relevant international targets; Endorse the Programme of Work for the GPA Coordination Office for the period 2012-2016; and Outline recommendations to work on emerging issues.
Meeting Documents are available for download here.